Monday, April 8, 2013

May 2012

It's time to play a little catch up on the summer now that fall is just about over. I spent the summer in West Glacier for another summer of whitewater rafting and backpacking in Glacier National Park working for Glacier Guides/Montana Raft Co.


I arrived back in the states about mid-April and immediately worked the Spring Back to Vail event in Colorado. When I flew back from Germany I had a layover in Philly and was able to see my dad for a couple hours between his flights for work. The Spring Back to Vail event was fun and gave me just enough money to fix my car so I could drive up to Montana. The highlight of the event was def the Pond Skimming.


Before leaving Colorado and heading north I had to go backpacking. I was hoping to snowshoe, but there just wasn't enough snow for it. I went to a place in Rocky Mountain National Park that I had been wanting to go to for several years called Chasm Lake. It is nestled below some 14er that's famous, but I forget its name. It was a gorgeous place to camp and we had it all to ourselves.


After the event and backpacking trip, I went to the east coast to visit some family and friends. Then came back to fix my car, packed for the move and headed north to Jackson, WY to complete a Wilderness First Responder Recertification course. While taking the 3 day course I camped a little ways outside of town with another guy in the class.  We slept under the stars and awoke to the most beautiful views of the Teton Range. Not a bad way to start the day. It's a really great course to take and the recert was just what I needed. After passing my test, I continued north to Missoula to visit some friends there. Missoula is always a good time.


After a few days of drinking in Missoula it was time to get on up to Glacier. My first stop, always, is Lake McDonald. It was a perfect day and it felt good to be 'home.' My sailboat (yeah, the one that I bought when I was living in Thailand) was on the move from Bellingham, WA so I was even more excited than normal to see this lake.


Hanging out at Fredas one rainy evening. One of the few pics where KT is smiling.


Here is my home for the summer. It's my fifth summer living in that tent. Two boats, one tent and no car. As soon as I got up to the guides my car died (again). At 28 years old my parents must be so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment