Friday, November 25, 2011

Back in Bangkok

Yesterday afternoon I caught the night bus up to Bangkok. The TESOL Institute is putting us up in a sweet hotel for the 2 weeks we are here finishing up our course. The room has hot water, air-con, a nice bed with pillow, tv (English shows like House were on when I flicked through some channels), towel and soap! It may sound like a normal hotel, but after where I have been sleeping for the last few weeks it is amazing!

I got into BKK at 5 am this morning on Kho San Road (the touristy area). Our course is taking place on the other side of town, so I hopped in a cab and maybe 20 minutes later arrived. This is a huge city! I was tired enough to sleep, but too excited and wanted to see the area. There are a few big malls around, food stands every two feet serving anything you could want, tons of shopping and things are more authentic. It’s much harder to find words in English, but there are plenty of local American chains so I don’t feel far removed from western culture – Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds, Auntie Ann’s Pretzels, 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, and more chains. The cinema and bowling alley are only 2 blocks away. In the supermarket I found everything I could possibly ever want – Tim Tams, Goldfish crackers, Nutella, peanut butter, honey, Campbell’s tomato soup, avocados, M&M’s, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, Fruit Loops and soy milk, cream cheese, seaweed and wasabi snacks in every form, and more. Everything I thought I might miss as far as the food goes is here….and more. I didn't buy any of it, but knowing it's available is comforting.

I found out a little bit more about the position. I’ll be teaching Biology here in the city. I still don’t know exactly which  school, but I know I won’t be leaving bkk. (I have mixed feelings about that. I was hoping for a smaller town, but it is what it is.) I’ll be teaching biology for most of the classes and also health and physical education! I sooo want to ‘teach’ Frisbee! The biology student will be in grades 10-12, know English well and the class sizes will be small. All of that is great news, especially the small class bit! Oh and one of the things I’ll get to cover is astronomy =)

I don’t know many of the details, but as I find out more I’ll continue blogging. I have to catch up still on Krabi and Tonsai – both awesome places to visit! Nap time and then I have to start studying up on anything biology related.

No comments:

Post a Comment