Saturday, February 23, 2013

Khao Sok National Park, Thailand

Another amazing place to visit in Thailand! Khao Sok is a beautiful National Park in southern Thailand.



When I stopped in Khao Sok I spent my first day and night there in a bungalow in town near the park headquarters. I took a long hike through the jungle to a secluded waterfall. I didn't have to worry about any one else showing up while I was skinny dipping because of the trail conditions. The last mile of trail before the waterfall was infested with leeches. OH it was soooo gross!!! Leeches are one of the worst creatures in the world! And I was hiking in flip flops so they were sucking blood before I even realized it. Khao Sok isn't overwhelmed with tourists like Phuket and other nearby islands. It's just as beautiful, but hasn't been discovered. If you are planning on going, get there soon before the resorts move in. There are hiking options for all abilities, overnight trips, caving and over night trips on the reservoir too. My four days there was not enough.
Cheow Larn Lake

Riding from one end of the lake to the other
After my day hike in the park, I booked a tour to go to Cheow Larn Lake in the national park for three days and two nights. There were nine of us on the boat as we cruised from one end of the lake to the other. The ride was beautiful! The lake is actually a reservoir filled with clear greenish-blue water and there are limestone mountains and jungles surrounding it all.

Tucked into little coves are a few floating bungalows for the people staying overnight.


My first wild elephant!
Not only did I see my first wild elephant, but wild boars, horn bills (like toucans), buffalo and heard wild gibbons the entire time, esp around dawn and dusk. There were a few other animals too, but those were the highlights. The national park also claims to have some tigers, but the population is thought to only be in the teens.


The floating bungalows we slept on for 2 nights

The entrance to Namtaloo Cave




This was the best cave I have ever gone through - not only were there awesome formations, but it was awesome to swim though parts of it!


Hiking through the jungle


Kayaking around the lake

No comments:

Post a Comment